Monday, August 3, 2009

A good approximation of "Cash for Clunkers"

In my view, if you think "Cash for Clunkers" is such as great idea, then you should be more than willing to knock on your neighbor's door and ask them for the $4500 "cash for clunker" payout directly. I could imagine the scene playing out something like this:

"Hi neighbor, I have an old beat up car, and I think it would be a great idea if you gave me $4500, and in exchange, I will junk this car and then use the money as a down payment on a new car."

"Wait, who gets the new car? You or me? I don't need a new car".

"That's okay, I get the new car".

"Ok, so what is in it for me?"

"By giving me $4500, you may not benefit directly, but this will certainly stimulate the auto industry, and that will help everyone. Plus, my car uses lots of gas and emits all kinds of pollution, so it would really be in your best interest to pay me to get a new car".

"But I need that $4500. I need to pay off some credit cards, and I also need to buy a new dishwasher. I'll tell you what, why don't you go buy a new car with your own money and leave me out of it."

"I was trying to be nice about this and make you feel good about participating, but it turns out that you don't actually have a choice. If you refuse, eventually US Marshalls will show up at your door with guns and a warrant for your arrest. I would get me that $4,500 as soon as possible."

[Update]

Jim DeMint pointed out on Fox News Sunday that it is actually our children who are paying for these used cars. So, in my example above, I guess that would mean that you should go to your neighbor and ask them if it is okay if your neighbor's child put up the $4500.

No comments:

Post a Comment