Thursday, June 25, 2009

My reaction to the Sanford situation

Just some initial reactions to the whole Mark Sanford situation:

1) The press conference was unlike anything I have ever seen. It was heartbreaking. It was raw. It was the most human confession of an affair from a politician that I have ever seen. Maybe that's not saying much. But it was striking how he admitted not to just having an illicit affair, but to falling in love with this woman.

2) Jenny Sanford is impressive. I had heard that she was a very impressive person, and her press release today certainly struck a chord with many people. Thank goodness she was not at the press conference. She kept her dignity and her focus on protecting the children.

3) On a political note, this whole episode was depressing. I had high hopes. As a friend of mine wrote to me earlier today, "he not only betrayed his wife, but he betrayed the conservative movement". I don't want to go that far, but I am left wondering where to go now. The prospect of a Mitt Romney nomination is, well, depressing.

...more thoughts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment